Cleaning and removing mould from walls can be a fairly straight forward job, but unless done correctly it will invariably turn into one that you will have to repeat over and over again.

removing mould from walls

Mould spores are everywhere around us but it is only when they are given the right conditions and proliferate that we become aware of them. This is usually by seeing different coloured growths on things like tiles, walls, ceilings and clothes or sometimes even smelling a damp musty smell if nothing can be seen. The truth is mould can grow anywhere there is moisture and organic matter.

Removing the mould for good from your walls is a two-step process. Firstly, cleaning the mould that is present and secondly, finding what is the cause of it so it can be fixed and prevent the mould from returning.

Internal walls are usually made from gyprock, timber or plasterboard and as a general rule have been painted or coated. These types of walls are the easiest to treat as they have a sealed surface barrier making it harder for mould to penetrate deep into the material.

To treat sealed walls:

  • Make sure you have plenty of clean water on hand in case of accidental spills or exposure of the chemical to your skin or eyes.
  • Put on your safety equipment; a protective suit to cover your entire body, a carbon filtered full face mask of good industrial quality, thick rubber gloves, enclosed footwear and socks.
  • Place drop sheets over items around the treatment area to make sure other items are not damaged from splashes or the cleaning solution.
  • Fill a normal household refillable spray bottle with recognised mould killer solution in concentrated strength.
    This is usually available from hardware stores; the supermarket varieties are often not of a sufficient strength to adequately remove the problem.
    This chemical should be treated with caution and used only with the safety equipment listed above.
  • Spray the affected area thoroughly with the solution. Scrub the area ensuring you get into any cracks or crevices. This may need to be done more than once depending on the severity of the mould growth.
  • Leave the area for 30 minutes then remove any excess solution and mould with rags.
  • Give the area a final wipe over and dry with clean dry rags.
  • Clean up the area and equipment and remove drop sheets.
  • Ensure the area is well ventilated during and after treatment until you can no longer detect any vapours from the solution.

Common causes of mould growth on walls can be poor ventilation, leaks and dust. To help reduce these ensure you open windows and doors for 30 minutes to 1 hour per day at the driest time, install ceiling and roof vents where necessary, and dust walls regularly. Proper ventilation in the sub-floor area can also help address this issue.

If you are unsure of what the cause is of the mould, it is best to contact a mould removal professional. If your property is located in the Sydney, Central Coast or Newcastle areas contact the professionals at Mould Removal today on 0408 681034 or email for an obligation free quote to rid your property of potential health problems. Mould removal inspectors also can provide you with a report as to why mould is growing inside your property and suggest the best ways for long term control. Mould Removal does not sell any products or band aide solutions we just suggest honest, simple solutions based on commonsense.