Mould Removal Resource Hub
Mould & Your Health
The health and well being of you and your family is obviously a top priority and it’s important to understand how mould can impact humans and what you can do to reduce the risk.
REactions to mould depend largely on the individual, however exposure to mould spores can lead to health issues including:
-Skin reactions, rashes and irritation
-Digestive system disorders
-Rare cases of neurological conditions
Here are a few key things to know about mould in relation to your health, so that you and your loved ones stay safe and healthy in your own home.
Mould spores can become airborne
As with any living organism, mould has developed ways to increase it’s chances of growth and survival in nature. Just as any other plant allows it’s seeds to be carried by the wind or in the bodies of animals, mould produces invisible spores that can become airborne.
Contact with areas of growing mould can trigger allergic reactions in some people. Mould itself is not necessarily considered toxic, but direct exposure and contact should be avoided wherever possible. The real risk is inhalation of mould spores into the respiratory system, which can cause severe adverse reactions and reduce healthy lung function.
Ongoing and repeated exposure to mould spores in the respiratory system can cause serious ilness, and in extreme cases may be fatal.
The World Health Organisation has officially released detailed guidelines about indoor air quality and the risks of mould inhalation.
This makes the effective management of mould one of the most important considerations for your household to ensure the health and safety of you and your family.